23 November 2009

Revenge of the Multibyte Characters

In The Netherlands, where I'm from, we do have Multibyte characters. Names with diacritic characters occur frequently.
In a prior post I've written about using Oracle text to perform diacritic searches.

This post is about the table definition. Every now and then this problem rears its ugly head, that's why I decided to write this little note on it.

(Non Oracle): Shocking Truth

Do you know what it looks like when a couple of guys are trying out how much electricity runs through an electric fence?

The guys in this clip are my nephews Michiel, Randy, and Jesper. During a family reunion gettaway they couldn't resist trying out the electirc fence across the street... My brother just happened to be filming...

18 November 2009

Planboard Symposium, the day after.

Yesterday the Planboard Symposium, a symposium for DBA presented by DBA, took place in Driebergen, The Netherlands.
The setup of this conference is a little different from what I'm used to. Only two parallel sessions to choose from with lots of time in between the sessions, which is nice for networking.
For everybody who attended my session, a big "Thank you". For everybody who decided to attend Harald's session, you missed out on something good, and I finished on time ;)
As a consolodation price for those of you that didn't attend the Planboard Symposium, here is my presentation.

13 November 2009

An Empty Clob is not NULL, it's NOT NULL

Oracle recommends using CLOB instead of LONG for columns in the database. We all know this, right? Using CLOB is a lot easier than trying to manipulate LONG. Makes our life a lot easier.
But there is something about using CLOBs that I didn't know. As you might have guessed from the title it has to do with NULL...

11 November 2009

Create Users with DBMS_METADATA

Not too long ago I wrote a blog on using DBMS_METADATA to extract DDL for tables, so when I got an assignment to migrate Users I immediately thought of using DBMS_METADATA to do this.

The User Migration would consist of all the users in the database being renamed following a new convention. Don't ask why they wanted this, they had some very good reasons to want so.
All the users had to be recreated along with all their privileges to their new name.
At first I thought of writing all sorts of queries against the datadictionary which sounded like a daunting task. On second thought it dawned to me that a CREATE USER statement is DDL and DDL can be extracted using DBMS_METADATA.
Google is your friend at times like that. Turned out you can use DBMS_METADATA to generate the CREATE USER statement, very easily.